Buy-to-let: How landlords can cut their shock new tax bill     ... read more ยป


The following guide to the legal side of being a letting property outlines some of the most common requirements for UK landlords. But every situation is different, so if you are managing the property yourself it may be advisable to get individual legal advice.

Gas Safety

If your property has a gas supply and appliances, it is essential that they are inspected annually. By law you need a yearly Gas Safety Certificate from a CORGI registered gas engineer. Do make sure you comply because, apart from the safety issues for tenants, you could be imprisoned or heavily fined if prosecuted.

Electrical Safety

Before tenants move in, an electrical safety check must be made to ensure that the electricity supply and appliances conform to legal standards. For appliances you need to get a trained electrical engineer to carry out a PAT test. This must be renewed annually.

Furniture Regulations

All soft furnishings such as beds, sofas and chairs must meet the latest fire regulations, and failure to comply can be a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection Act.

Energy Performance Certificate

Prospective tenants must be provided with an up-to-date Energy Performance Certificate when they view your property. This gives an energy efficiency rating along with carbon dioxide emission levels for the building. You’ll need to contact a trained domestic energy assessor to issue a certificate.

Consent to Let

Before letting a mortgaged property make sure you have obtained consent from your lender. Or if it is leasehold, you may need the approval of your landlord before you can sub-let.

At Hatters we help you make more of your property. Whether you’re a Landlord, a Home Seller or Commercial client, our services bring together the best modern ideas – like Guaranteed Rents and Online Sales – with traditional personal service and a high street presence. The best of both worlds!